Fourteen foreigners who were arrested last month for their alleged involvement in cybercrimes were rearrested and detained, the Bureau of Immigration said Wednesday.
BI officer-in-charge Siegfred Mison said the 14, including nine Taiwanese and five Chinese, had posted bail and were about to be released from the Las Piñas City Jail.
In a post on the agency’s Facebook page, Mison said deportation proceedings are still ongoing against the 14, who he said will remain at the BI Detention Center in Taguig City.
They will not be deported until the court has rendered its verdict, he added.
“If convicted, they will have to serve their sentences first before they are deported,” he said.
BI acting intelligence head Atty. Jose Carlitos Licas said the 14 were among 35 Chinese and Taiwanese arrested by anti-cybercrime police personnel in Manila, Las Piñas City and Imus in Cavite.
Seized from them were computers, Internet routers and credit cards and other equipment. They face charges for violating the Access Devices Regulation Act.
Investigation showed the cybercrime ring victimized wealthy people in China and Taiwan by blackmailing them and forcing them to give large amounts of money. — VC, GMA News